Sunday, November 10, 2013

You Can Get Anything You Want

I recall reading in the guide book that you could buy any antibiotics you could pronounce in Nepal, without prescriptions.

So it was with some interest yesterday that I had occasion to visit one of these street side "chemist's" premises. 

I'd managed to pick up a minor cold a week ago and the cough was more annoying than anything.

I went in and found some cough medicine with the right active ingredients.  Only 120 NRs (about $1.30).

What was interesting is that without me asking, I was offered an upper respiratory antibiotic that I happened to recognize because I have some with me.  Sadly, they do not work on viral infections, which is what I had.  I politely refused the antibiotic and left with my cough medicine.

Antibiotic resistance anyone?

No comments: