Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cell Phones - Nepali Style

I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to cell phones, but I've used one here in Nepal more than the total of my whole experience with the devices.  It's a pity service providers in Canada couldn't learn from how Nepal carriers do things.  For example:

The sim card costs about $1.  In Canada it can cost between $10 and $20.  Seriously, this is a small chip on a card that goes into your phone.

Recharge cards are available literally everywhere.  It takes seconds to enter the card's code and get extra minutes on your phone.  They are available in amounts from 50 to 500 NRs, the equivalent of 50 cents to $5.

I didn't need a "plan".  Just a sim and some time.  No minimum use or cost each month.

The big difference is price.  Calls in Nepal are about 3 cents a minute and calls overseas are about the same.  I could call Canada and talk for half an hour for less than $1.  How about that Telus?

I was unable to determine the cost for text messages.  I just know it was very cheap.

I won't compare coverage.  Nepal is a small country with Canada's population.  Coverage was pretty good.  Poor or no coverage in the mountains, but that's not surprising.

On ease of use and cost, cell use in Nepal wins hands down.

No comments: