Sunday, November 03, 2013

A Culinary Experiment

After perusing the menu for supper items today, and wondering briefly about the possible joys of "beef strong off", I decided to try "Yak Meat Curry".

I can report that this experiment ended up being about the only meal so far on this trip that I was not able to stomach.

The opening course, chicken soup, was nice, although no chicken chunks were visible.  The yak curry came in a bowl to pour over the rice.  The meat was in the form of dark chunks, looking as if it had been dried.  Possibly for a long time.  Right on both counts.

The meat was tough and chewey and had a flavour that did not appeal.  There were hard bits that I could not identify.  Unfortunately, after encountering a few of those, I found myself chewing but unable to swallow.  I gave up.  I couldn't even finish the rice.  For supper I finished my plate of French fries and got a 660 ml bottle of Toburg beer.  That pretty much set everything right.  Tomorrow I'll have pizza and all will be forgotten.

Lesson for today is to leave the yak (or buffalo...) In the pasture where it belongs.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

One of my most memorable meals was yak steak and fries cooked in a very large vat of oil. In Xigatse, Tibet, in a shed with dirt floors, dogs ready to gobble up any scraps. After a long expedition with not-that-great food our group amazed the cooks by ordering more and more and more. It was the best meal ever! :-)