Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Out of the Canyon - Recovery

Recovery from the Tonto Plateau hike started as soon as I reached van.  After the hike, the climb out of the Canyon and the bike ride, I was so tired and hungry I could barely stand.  One beer, cheese, crackers...they helped immediately.  Then on to a cola, then another beer.  Other than stepping down from the van, I was starting to feel almost normal.

After 3 days living mostly on home-made energy bars (see picture .. thanks to Andrew for that suggestion..) which were quite good, I enjoyed reheated pizza and more beer for supper, followed by honey curd muslei (something I learned about in Nepal) for dessert.

After a good, quiet night's sleep in the Kaibab National Forest, I started the day with sausage, turkey bacon and poached eggs.

In the coolness of a beautiful morning, I headed down off the Coconino plateau towards the Painted Desert, en route to Moab, with Toto's "Africa" playing on the iPod.  With admirable tech-gadget prescience, the iPod quickly moved on to Charlie Daniel's "The Diet Song", surely nothing to do with the breakfast I'd just had.

Recovery day is starting out well.

No comments: