Monday, April 07, 2014

Below the Rim - Day 3

An early start today.  Underway by 6:10 am.  Morning is probably the best time to hike in the canyon.  Cool, quiet... Well, it's usually quiet down here....

It took an hour to reach the South Kaibab trail.  Still too early for the hordes.  Not a soul in sight.  Continued along the Tonto trail and made the 4.5 miles to Indian Gardens in 1:45.  A few people moving and hiking.  After a short rest, I headed up.  It took 3.5 hours to reach the top.  Along the way, many people, a chopper to rescue someone who fell off a horse, a few backpackers....  At least most of this trail was in the shade.

Took the shuttle bus to get my bike, stashed my pack, rode about 9 miles to where the van was parked.  My legs almost didn't make it.  Drove back, got my pack, rehydrating as I went :-)

A nice hike.  Interesting.  One area I've wanted to hike for some time now.  Quiet.  Very few people, considering the hordes on the rim, several condors flying past, warm, dusty, not much water, some challenges but easier than I'd expected.

Below the Rim, the only place to be in the Grand Canyon.

No comments: