Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Interior Health.ca

Having had a real sample of the health care system at work in this part of BC, I thought it would be a good idea to record a few comments....

Our (single payer) medical care system in Canada and here in BC comes in for lots of criticism, but I've had surgeries in Saskatchewan, now one here in BC, our daughter had twins recently.... I have to say that the experiences have been quite positive. There are several large Health regions covering all of BC; ours is Interior Health. When people want to complain, they call it Inferior Health, but I think we've been pretty well served, so far.

Our daughter and the twins received great care at the Regional hospital in Trail, and with twins, there was a much greater level of attention and care devoted to her situation.

The wait time for my orthopedic surgery would have been 2-3 months, but I wanted November so that month has been booked for almost a year now.

The orthopedic surgeon has always been very clear about what was going to be done, the anesthesiologist explained what he was going to do: general anesthesia, nerve blocks, freezing.... The nurses were friendly and helpful.... I didn't see anyone who was abrupt or impatient. Everyone was good humoured.... It's all the little things that add up to a positive experience. The surgeon came by after I was awake to see how I was doing and answered my questions about what condition the joint was in, which certainly explained why I had been having problems with it.

So for me, so far, I'd certainly like to recognize the good work being done in this little part of Interior Health's fiefdom.

No comments: