Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Final Inspection


As of today, the house construction project is officially over. (I say officially because I suppose in some ways, you're never completely done...)

However, the Building Inspector visited today, the building permit is finished and the house is "officially" done. We (as in my contractor) started in the spring of 2004 with the foundation work. Framing, roof, windows and siding were done by later in the summer and I started on the inside that fall by myself. It took about another 3 years to finish everything. I've been a bit sidetracked for the past 2 years with rock walls, gardens, traveling and such, but I decided about 2 weeks ago that it was time to bring this project to a close. So today was the day.

It's been an interesting experience but I'm not sure if I'd want to do it again. I suppose the biggest issue was getting work done from 1300 km away, while we were still living on the Prairies. It was easier once we moved out here. That said, it's a nice space and we enjoy it very much.

I think I'm going to have a beer for lunch just to celebrate!

2 comments:

The Clothesline said...

Congrats on all that, strong man! I like the way you capitalized the word prairies!

Mtn Goat said...

I always capitalize "Prairies". In my mind, it's a proper noun - ie: a place name ;-)