Thursday, July 05, 2007

Evolution of a Shed

We decided quite awhile ago that we would need a garden shed. This was to be storage for tillers, shredders, garden tools, potting equipment - all the stuff that I really didn't want in the garage. It started out being something I'd probably build in late summer or the fall....

Well, with the stinking hot weather we've been having lately, and a few days to go until a mountaineering trip near Lake Louise, we made a quick trip to Nelson for some building materials and serious work on the shed began the other day. I say serious, but Catherine has been working on it for a week or so, and I don't mean just dropping subtle hints. I'd mark out the corners and she'd dig holes in the rocky BC soil so I could pour cement posts to support the shed. We finished that 2 days ago and I've been spending mornings in the shade getting the building up.
Wednesday I got the base built and one wall up. Today it actually started looking like a building. I quit around noon because the sun starts hitting the construction site again. Temperatures today are forecast to hit the high 30s. I'm cooling off in the basement and will probably spend the afternoon in the garage. If I overheat, it's back to the basement.
Tomorrow I get to decide on roof designs. I'm thinking of some home-built trusses.


No comments: