Sunday, July 29, 2007

Cooking in the Rockies

A recent post from The Clothesline speaks to the heat. Seems to be everywhere this summer. I just spent 3 days with some Saskatoon friends while doing some mountaineering in the Rockies. Saskatoon is cooking. In the Little Yoho Valley, where we were climbing, the tactic was to get up at 4:30 am, eat and get the climbing done by noon before we cooked too. My eyes seem seared by the heat and sun even with the sunglasses I always wear. Snow and ice up high is melting at an astounding rate and more parts of the glaciers are bare of snow than I've seen at this time of year. Needless to say, the glaciers are falling apart more quickly each year, it seems.

I spent a week on the Wapta Icefield and 3 days in the Little Yoho, climbed several peaks and generally wore myself out, but the one thing that stands out is the heat. Makes you yearn for days where it "only" gets to +23C.

No comments: