Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Baking in the Kootenays

No picture today - hard to take a good picture of the inside of an oven. At least that's what it feels like outside. It's not as hot here as some places in the Interior of BC, but it's nearly +35C along Kootenay Lake today and nary a cloud to be seen anywhere. It's the sort of day where you're eager to get up and busy at 4 am just so you can spend the afternoon in the basement. I suppose I could go find a cool stream somewhere or a shady spot next to the Lake but I think I'll just stay in the basement. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter.

Makes me think that I ought to find plans for a solar oven, solar panels, solar hot water production. Thouse could be projects for later to get ready for next summer. I remember that August 2005 was likewise hot and sunny. We get lots of cloud in the winter, but summer would normally have lots of solar potential.

I've been using my inside time sorting out camping equipment, cleaning up and even digging around in some of boxes that we haven't unpacked yet.

Seems like there will be another reason to be glad we don't live in Vancouver. There's a chance that "sanitary engineers" will be on strike shortly. With the heat working on all that uncollected garbage, Vancouver would be a good place to avoid.

No comments: