Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cascadia

I'd sort of forgotten about Cascadia. I think Scott told me about it awhile back, so my ears perked up today when I heard the term used in a CBC Vancouver news story. Something about BC residents having the longest life span in Cascadia, or something like that.

What I find interesting is the concept of Cascadia, or, as it's sometimes known, the Republic of Cascadia. The concept makes more sense once you actually live out here, west of the Rockies. We do hear news about the rest of the country, the world, even, but there is something about crossing the Rockies that seems to move one into a different mental space. The term has been used to refer to different things, of course, but I like the idea of living in a republic out here in our little corner of North America. Vivre la Republic. Vivre la Republic libre! Thanks for the idea Charles.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I first heard the term "Cascadia" when I read The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau in 1981. His definition of Cascadia is much smaller as it only includes a narrow coastal strip running along the northwestern edge of North America.