Sunday, March 29, 2020

Into the Pandemic - Potpourri

From Isolation Manor - March 29th, 2020

Total Confirmed Cases: 720,000    Total Deaths: 34,000

The USA has quickly moved well beyond any other country with about 141,000 cases and nearly 2500 deaths.  The vast majority of them are in the state of New York.

On Friday, Trump made this memorable quote:  
This whatever they want to call it. You call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You know, you can call it many different names. I’m not sure anybody even knows what it is…
I'm getting the impression that this fellow has no real idea how much a lot of people actually DO know.  Of course, he doesn't understand that anyone could possibly know more about something than he does.

Not that Trump is especially an outlier in this.  The President of Mexico, at least until recently, has been advocating amulets and prayer cards.

Humour has been flowing fast and free on social media.  It's good to see people having fun with this because the alternative would be to sit around and fret.

This is the Canadian way of maintaining social distancing.


There has been an updated version of Bohemian Rhapsody posted on YouTube.  

There have been many jokes relating to sharing the same house with the same person, day after day after day after day...  I liked this one:
I told my wife how thankful I was to have someone I enjoyed being quarantined with. She said "must be nice".
Here at Isolation Manor, life goes on, much as expected.  I'm doing a bit of special housecleaning, working on the van, some time in the yard and waiting for the rain to stop so I can go hack up some trees with my chain saw.  The other resident here has been doing much the same, playing online bridge, talking on the phone, cooking...  No, I don't think we'll be losing much weight this way.  Started a batch of beer and wine.  There are some things that you just need to have during long periods at home.

We've also been doing some lesson planning.  "School" for our grandsons starts on Monday morning.  I spent a few hours getting my ducks in a row.  At least I hope they're in a row.  I haven't taught this grade level before.  However, they're not teenagers so how hard could it be.  Grandma is starting with Math and I'm doing a Nature Study with Birds as the centerpiece.  This could be interesting.

Isolation Manor - Out.


No comments: