Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Into the Pandemic - On the Home Front III

Isolation Manor - Pandemic Dateline - March 25, 2020

Total global cases: 441,000   Total deaths: approaching 20,000

Everyone is finding new and creative ways to while away the hours (and hours and hours and hours) that we now have to fill.  Orders from our masters have made it quite clear that we are to "Go Home and Stay Home".  With some exceptions, apparently....  If you need food, you can make forays outside to get some.  You are allowed to go get some exercise, just STAY AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE.  I've been eyeing the mule deer that wander by.  I'm pretty sure I could catch one with a long stick, perhaps a lasso, just to "beef up" the larder, of course (no pun intended).  I have time to practice....

Much of my time has been taken up with building an RV style camper van.  That story is being told in another series of posts - that story appears here.  More to come

On Monday, we had a brief spell of nice weather so I installed some solar panels on the roof of the van.  The next day it snowed. All day. I need to remember that it's still Farch in this part of Canada.  The polyurethane I used to glue the panels to the roof normally takes a few days to cure.  With current conditions, I figure it should cure in about a month.  Some pictures from yesterday.



The other resident of Isolation Manor has been exploring ways of playing Bridge on-line.  This picture was taken yesterday during the inaugural session.  This isn't as bad as you might think.  She plays contract bridge and chit-chat is seriously discouraged.  So being in a house great distances away from your playing partners shouldn't be a problem.


Yesterday I mentioned the possibility of cleaning a part of the house each day.  I have to say that the response was underwhelming.  I might have to take matters into my own hands....

My sister-in-law is a lecturer at an Eastern Canadian institution of advanced learning.  She's been switching over to on-line education and had this post earlier this morning:

In this choppy changey time, I feel "normal" only while recording video lectures for my students. Listening to myself drone on is such a comfort. After I've exhausted course material, I will create narrated slides on the following topics. Any other suggestions?1. Coping 101: Name your anxiety (steal one from literature if you must. Morag Gunn and I are besties)2. The psychology of why the exercise bike you bought a year ago will *still* never see your ass (and why this does not matter)
3. Disorder 101: Why you should unfriend Type A personalities during a pandemic
4. Coping 102: Fuck productivity
5. Disorder 102: Why pandemic updates on CBC are punctuated with ads for travel, financial investments and health insurance.
My grandsons are passionate Lego builders.  They have been busy with projects and scenarios involving that passion.  One of them was describing some of their "creatures" to me a few days ago.  I have NO idea where these things come from (and what goes on inside an 8-year-old brain is a puzzle)....  They've also been working at their art projects, this one out on the deck on an old fridge.


I'm taking a couple of hours to go groom the community XC ski trails.  It's a good place to be completely isolated, it's out in the fresh air and I get to roar around on powerful equipment.  What more could I ask for?

Isolation Manor, out.


No comments: