Sunday, August 30, 2009

Heart Lake - On the Mt Willet Trail

In this little part of the mountains, there are 3 big peaks - Loki, Brennan and Willet, all in the somewhat-over-9000ft category. Loki I've done twice, Brennan I did earlier this summer and now I have a closeup view of what Willet would require by way of effort and routefinding.

The Sunday hikers today went to Heart Lake which is not far from Willet and allowed me a chance to scope out the terrain and the route for a future trip up Willet. Didn't actually look too bad. Just the usual combination of BC FSRs, a fairly steep hike, some walking along a goat track and the final wander up the east ridge of Willet. Probably could be done in a day, easiest if you were to camp out at the trailhead the night before, ensuring an early start.

Heart Lake actually is shaped like a heart and the meadows in the area were quite nice with good views in most directions. The drive down the FSR at the end of the day provided a new view of Kootenay Lake, this from high up from the north. Another 10-hour day with who knows how much elevation gain. I just can't believe that I actually forgot my camera....

No comments: