Monday, August 31, 2009

Blame it on Sirius

It may be the end of August, but the heat we've been getting the past while brought the phrase "The Dog Days of Summer" to mind. Thankfully, it hasn't been humid, but temperatures in the Koots have been over 30C for awhile and in that heat, I lose interest in doing much work outside. I think the Latin American idea of a siesta makes a lot of sense.

According to legend, Sirius (the Dog Star) is responsible for the heat and the Romans sacrificed a brown dog in an act of appeasement. Apparently we also need to be mindful of the seas boiling, wine going sour, dogs going mad and all creatures becoming languid. Languid - that's what I've been feeling in this heat so at least that much seems true. I have managed to get in some useful work early in the day: relocating some of the fence against the deer invaders, a bit of gardening harvesting, moving some wood....but I'm looking forward to later in the week when we are supposedly getting back to "normal" temperatures. Until then I'm hiding in the basement during the heat of the day.

No comments: