Friday, October 02, 2015

The Niqab - Suddenly Everyone's an Expert

One thing that the recent "dog-whistle" tactic of the Harper Conservatives has revealed is the number of Islamic scholars who live in Canada.  No sooner than the Federal Court ruled that the government couldn't ban the niqab at Canadian Citizenship ceremonies (in itself a topic that I'll bet almost NO Canadians have given much thought to in their entire lives), then Jason Kenney declared that the government would appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court and that the niqab "just wasn't consistent with "Canadian values" - whatever those are.



The woodwork erupted with posts and comments and articles from people who claimed to know that the niqab was part of sharia law, that it was cultural, not religious, that is was a religious requirement, that is was oppressive of women, that it was a sign of female liberation and freedom, that is was a security risk, that it wasn't a problem....  You pick a viewpoint, dozens could be found for each one.

Frankly, I've never met anyone who wore a niqab (or a hijab, for that matter) and will bet that most Canadians haven't either.  Why this becomes a problem is, therefore, a complete mystery.  Well, not really....  Anyone with 2 clues to rub together can see clearly that this is a desperate attempt on the part of the Harper Conservatives to pull in some more electoral support, especially since science, the environment, the economy, law and order, climate change, fighter jets, Canada's role at the UN, Canada's role in Syria, jobs, trade deals.... none of these issues were working in Harper's favour.




In other words, this has become an issue because Harper wants it to become an issue.  That is, Harper and his imported Dingo, Lynton Crosby.




I'm not really all that interested in knowing the intricacies of sharia law or the Muslim religion.  I feel the same way about pretty much any form of religion.  I only get exercised when people try to impose their religious beliefs on other people or me in particular.  So on matters of abortion, birth control, meat or fish on Fridays, whether liquor stores should be open on Sundays or not.... and none of these "issues" have had anything to do with Islam.  I just can't believe it.  These days, you'd think the Ayatollah was coming to impose his will on all of us north of the 49th.

So I had a very quick look.  Here are a few references for those of you who really DO want to know.  Take your pick and see if you learn anything.  They are probably more informed that anything you'll find in the Toronto Sun, but that's only my opinion....

From the Guardian - "The Niqab makes me feel liberated and no law will make me stop wearing it"

From the Toronto Star - Muslim Women in Canada Explain why they wear a niqab

Understanding the Face Veil

Rulings regarding Wearing Hijab and Niqab

Those are just a very few of the gazillions that I suppose are out there.  I really didn't try to find any that were significant or "the final answer" in any way at all.  Me?  I really, really don't care.  It's not a security issue (despite attempts to make it one), it's not a "values" thing (despite attempts to make it one) and it's not a matter of "never telling my daughter that she should wear a niqab" despite what Mr Harper might say.  




If a woman wants to wear a niqab because it's a religious thing, or a cultural thing or because she feels somehow protected from the gaze of sexist males... whatever, it matters naught to me.  I think I can deal with it and not feel like it's undermining my "Canadian values".  I still won't like hockey, I'll still drink beer, I'll still like CBC Radio and the Green Party of Canada, I won't feel less secure on an airplane and I probably won't start demanding that my "life partner" start wearing a niqab.   

You're being played Canada.  Wake up and smell the bigotry.


No comments: