Sunday, November 02, 2014

The Cornish Pasty - This Side of the Pond

The Lake Superior shore of Michigan's upper peninsula is not perhaps where thoughts of Cornish pastys spring to mind, but that's exactly what happened on our way through the other day.

A Cornish pasty (rhymes with nasty) is a piece of pastry enclosing a filling which could include diced potato, meat, turnip... Then baked.  They are common in Cornwall, where I first encountered then a few years ago.  Cornish miners brought the tradition with them to this part of Michigan.  When I read about this in one of our travel books, I couldn't resist.  So I tracked down Joe's Pasty Shop (since 1946) in Ironwood just before we left Michigan. 

I can report that the pasty was good, filling (one makes for a good lunch) and a good deal at about $4.50.

One more little success for cultural transplants.

No comments: