Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fall Road Trip # 4 - Saskatoon

 I'd forgotten (or blanked from my mind) how long the drive is from Calgary to Saskatoon.  You'd think every bump would be imprinted in my bum, given the number of times we drove it, sometimes for a weekend trip to the mountains.... That one stretch of road had more miles of straight than I've seen in awhile.

But we drove it again, spending the night at the campground just outside of Alsask.  It was kinda nice to be on the prairie again.

Saskatoon, however, was a bit of a shock.  After only 6 years, there were sections that I hardly recognized. New highways, under/over passes, bridges, whole neighbourhoods, malls, big-box stores....  It was fun, though, riding my bike around the city, around many of the old haunts, the river trail....meeting old friends for a visit.  It's a nice city with many nice memories.  Even though our stay was brief, we experienced one day of howling wind and cold temperatures, making bike riding a bit more of a challenge.

Our 3 days passed quickly and too soon it was time to leave, heading south to Grasslands NP and gradually wending our way back home.

No comments: