Monday, January 09, 2012

Northern Gateway Pipeline: Let the Name-Calling Begin

The Minister of Natural Resources today started the pipeline review process with some name-calling: "radical environmentalists", "jet-setting celebs" and so on. It's not a good beginning if what we're looking for in essential information. Maybe we can try something else:

Dear Mr Oliver:
I wish to express my concerns about your comments earlier today about opposition to the Northern Gateway Pipeline Project.
First, it is a real sign of weakness to start calling people names when they don't agree with you, because it shows that you don't have a good argument to counter their claims.
You also assert that these people have an ideological standpoint.... Well, of course they do, and so do you. It seems rather pointless to make that statement because it really highlights your fear of any opposition to your position. If you have good points to make that will convince me, let's hear them. I understand where the ideological viewpoints are because they are everywhere. What I want is good information.
Personally, I'm ambivalent about the pipelline project. I think it has risks and benefits, but I really haven't heard much in the way of facts, and I'm not talking about government spin here. You and your government will assert that this pipeline is safe, right up to the moment when it springs a leak in an environmentally sensitive area. That's what you guys always do.
What I want is real information, not name-calling and political spin. Unfortunately, your position, and that of your government, is making me wonder why you can't come up with anything better than your normal response. I'm a bit insulted that you don't seem to understand that Canadians deserve a better, more intelligent position from you on this issue.
Sincerely,

No comments: