Thursday, July 08, 2010

Exploring the Koots - 0708 - Mt Brennan Revisited

Almost a year ago, I had my first climb of Mt Brennan, one of the major peaks in this area. This year there were no grizzly tracks on the summit, but just in case, I brought reinforcements.

We're at the start of a minor heat wave this week. When you'e having daily highs of +34C, what better time to go climb a mountain. We did decide to leave early with the idea of getting some of the uphill done before the sun so Catherine and I picked up Stu at 5:30 am and were hiking by 6:15 am. We managed the first 600 meters of elevation gain to Lyle lakes before we were in full sun.

Once we left Lyle Lakes, the climb was mostly on moderate to steep firm snow slopes, definitely my preferred conditions for climbs like this one. A clear sky, that minor heat wave I mentioned and snow everywhere made for furnace-like temperatures, but we were on the summit before lunch. Time to take in some food, liquids and the views in all directions and it was time to start bouncing down the snow slopes and down the trail to the trail head.

No comments: