Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Where NOT to shop in Radium, BC

I continue to be annoyed by the way some businesses go out of their way to gouge customers. My most recent experience was at the Mountainside Market in Radium, BC.

Heading back home after a week at Stanley Mitchell, I was hoping to pick up a sub or something for supper. Hmmm - no Subway in Radium. So I tried the grocery store across the street. The deli selections were exceptionally limited and expensive so I ended up with a litre of milk and a bag of chips - protein, fat and carbs in 2 easy packages.

My issue is with their price for milk. At this store, in Radium, one litre of skim milk was selling for just over $3. I don't expect "Superstore" prices in towns like this, but in Cranbrook, about 90 minutes south of Radium, the same milk was selling for about $1.40.

My recommendation? Don't shop at the Mountainside Market in Radium. One hour north, there is an Overwaitea in Golden and south about 90 minutes there is Superstore in Cranbrook. Get supplies before you visit Radium. I can't think of any reasonable justification for what this store charges for milk other than an attempt to capitalize on the needs of the traveling public and the lack of competition.

No comments: