Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 7 of My Imprisonment

Over the past few days, I have discovered techniques that have allowed me to ditch the crutches. The walking, however, is slow. Very slow. I'm glad to be able to walk unassisted at all, though.

Night 2 there was a slight amount of pain as the freezing finally came out of the foot. The drugs they used to block the nerve and freeze the foot must be really something, because it was numb for almost 24 hours. Otherwise, I've been unable to feel much of anything uncomfortable. I am, however, walking **very** carefully.

Becoming bored in "rehab chalet" where my "nurse" is staying while helping with the twins, I arranged to drive home on Friday. Driving is no problem. Glad it isn't my clutch foot. Not sure how that will work next fall when I get the left foot done.... Forewarned is forearmed, perhaps....

At least here at home I have a wider range of activities I can work on, including jobs in the shop. Note to self: don't drop anything on my foot, especially the right foot.

I hear there is 2 feet of snow in Jackson Basin. My skiing buddy and I will be getting the backcountry ski lift machine ready on Monday, but I think I'll be out of action until early January. That's when the bandages come off and I'm allowed to put weight on the front part of my foot. The snow should be good and ready by then. I should be good and ready by then....

The convalescence continues....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was wrong with your foot and what kind of surgery did you have??? I am experiencing some foot pain on the top of my foot and wondering if it is the same thing:)

Mtn Goat said...

This was a joint problem - big toe. Osteo-arthritis - cartilage gone, lots of bone spurs. The surgery was to fuse the joint - clean it up, grind off the lumps and put a screw in. Wait 2+ months for new bone to solidify the joint and we're done.