Sunday, August 26, 2007

Who You Gonna Call?

Well, on a Saturday, in Nelson, you won't have many options. It started off as a rather normal Saturday: a quick trip to Nelson for some building supplies, a trailer-load of topsoil, some groceries. A "trip to town" as the locals say. We find the plumbing shop is closed as is the locksmith shop. At the last stop, things begin to unravel. A fan belt breaks, in this case, the one running the alternator and the water pump on the truck. Things begin to heat up quickly. We stop at an Esso not far from the BOB (Big Orange Bridge). Not only are their service bays closed, but the owner seems more interested in berating his employees and ushering us off the lot than helping out in any way (guess I won't be buying gas there any time soon). We nurse the overheating truck to Walmart where the young fellows in the service bays seem more interested in fiddling with their studs and nose rings than helping, and besides, they don't "do" fan belts. A local garage, seemingly with the only service bays open today, might be able to do the job by 3 pm (it's only late morning at this point). As a last resort, I hike over to the local NAPA store to buy a fan belt and the two wrenches I will need to to the job myself. A pleasant surprise awaits: the fan belt is available and the fellow at the desk loans me a toolbox with all the things I need to replace the belt. About 30 minutes later, I'm finished the job and we're on our way home for a beer, a late lunch and the jobs I'd planned for the afternoon.

I'm sure that unhelpful "service" businesses are everywhere and Nelson isn't the only place with few repair options on a weekend, but I've got a giant RASPBERRY for Walmart and the Esso on Nelson Ave near the BOB. I've also got a big BOUQUET for NAPA and the guy working there Saturday. Thanks a lot!

1 comment:

The Clothesline said...

How happy I am to have a handy husband! Good job on that fan belt - we were only home an hour later than planned.