Sunday, May 06, 2007

Imperfect Past; Idyllic Present

I've been shaking my head while reading Gwynne Dyer's semi-recent book - Future: Tense. The coming World Order. Not that what he writes is all that surprising, I suppose, but I guess I'm still astounded by how badly formulated American foreign policy continues to be. Even more astounding is how many voters accept and believe in what their government is doing. You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time ....

My "recreational reading" notwithstanding, today was one of those stunning West Kootenay Days. Blue skies, mild breezes, snow on the peaks across the lake.... A peacefulness disturbed only by the occasional snarl of a chainsaw, the whine of the miter saw, some acrid smoke from a burning brush pile, the clank of mallet on wedge as Cath splits wood. Yes, it's house-building and land-clearing on the daily agenda. We should have started this 10 years ago!

No comments: