Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Travels in Taiwan - Furthest South

I arrived in Taitung 2 days ago and this morning the train will take me around the southern end of the island and up the west side to Tainan.  Tainan was once the capital of the city and is one of the oldest.  That means it has a history worth exploring.

The east side of the island is quite new so there is nothing particularly compelling about its cities.  It's more about the natural scenery here.


Yesterday, I took a bus north as far as Sanxiatai.  Since the train's route is inland, my ride from Hualien to Taitung showed me nothing of the coast this part of the country is noted for.  So I explored part of that coast by bus.

It was very windy on the coast, with huge breakers rolling in from the Pacific.  My walk at the terminus was out to a small island connected by a rather unusual bridge, one that looks like a dragon swimming out to the island, with 8 humps. 


It has another, more mythical, significance, something about the 8 Immortals. 


Steamed buns in different flavors comprised the meal choices I made during the day.  Two for breakfast and three for lunch.  Pork, red bean, bamboo... They were all good.  One town along the way has earned a reputation for theirs.  And there is always lots of fruit.


A quick trek to the city's Carrefour for supplies and the day was over.


No comments: