Saturday, December 10, 2016

Fact vs Myth - Truth in the Internet Age

I was listening to an NPR Planet Money podcast last night.  It was called "Finding the Fake News King".

I'm sure you've seen them.  Perhaps this has been your response:


I've had my share of discussions with conspiracy theorists and others who routinely post sensational "news" stories.  Some media outlets seem to specialize in this as well.  I'm thinking of "Faux News", among others.  So this particular podcast kept me awake as they explained one example of how such nonsense was propagated. 

One particular story was this one: 
"FBI Agent Suspected In Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide."
The story, however, was a complete fake.  It started with the "news outlet" that purportedly ran the story.  A news outlet that didn't exist.

Given the ability to find out almost anything these days, why do so many people just leap at the headline and pass such stories on as fact?  Perhaps this is the reason:
For those interested in checking the validity various stories out, I'd recommend these two sites for assistance:

The other factor would obviously have to be an individual's BS Detector.  Generally, if a story is so sensational that it seems fanciful and too good to be true, then it probably is.  Look before you click "Share".




No comments: