Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Those Advancing Years

By the time I awoke this morning, it had already arrived.

According to family legend, my quite pregnant mother was staying at her parents' place awaiting "the time".  There was a winter storm of sorts, her doctor happened to visit her at home (are you old enough to remember home visits?) and told her that it was time to get to the hospital.  So she was driven, in the doctor's jeep, to the hospital, the better part of an hour away.  I was born, around 6 am, in the hospital that later became a nurses' residence.

That happened 65 years ago.

So I've been contemplating all of this.  The arrival at the time of life where you are actually referred to as a "senior citizen" and not just an old fart.

I remember commenting a few years ago about some complaints by some much younger folk, so I dug it out to read again.  I don't think much has changed.  Certainly none of the things I mentioned in the original post have gone away.... and I was so hoping....

I know, it's just a number I've passed and it's just another name that I can be called and it's probably better than being called "jackass" or late for dinner, but there it is.

I now get discounts at the local store on certain days.  The provincial vehicle insurance system gives me a 25% discount.  There are breaks on property tax.  I start to receive government "pogey" in the form of CPP.  I can ski at some places for a reduced rate.  All very nice.  After all, I might need the money saved for prescription drugs....

I still have most of my hair, and I'm not just counting the fuzz on my face.  I have most of my own teeth (no false ones yet).  Most of the collection of body parts still work pretty well, at least most of the time.  I managed to stay well ahead of a much younger fellow on the return loop of the local ski trail earlier today.  Once I'm in condition, I can still climb the ski uptracks out in the backcountry at least as fast as everyone else.

So I guess I don't need to complain.  So I won't.


No comments: