Thursday, April 23, 2015

Waking Up the Masses?

Yesterday I had a first on Facebook.  I got booted out of a group.

The group was "Canada: Waking Up the Masses".

I joined originally because the group seemed dedicated to being a rallying point for unseating Harper and his cronies in the next election.  Listed were many reasons for such a move.  They resonated with my views on the current government.

The other day, however, there was a post complaining about how BC's water was being sold at give-away prices to a bottled water company.  Good point.  Then there were responses claiming that access to water should be a right (fine), should be free (really?) and then one where the poster claimed not to have drunk tap water for decades, supporting the bottled water industry.  (Huh?)  I pointed out that water was a commodity and that it's value wasn't being recognized by sensible pricing and that it seems a bit odd to complain about water being sold on the cheap to big corporations while supporting the bottled water industry through one's own purchasing practices.  A mini-debate ensued.  Tap water bad.  Bottled water good.  Bottled water should be banned.  And so on.

Then there was a typical anti-GMO post or two with comments claiming that you'd have to be "stupid" to not be against GMOs.  I responded in my usual way - some GMOs could be beneficial; no evidence of harm....

I then wondered, aloud, how such posts were related to unseating the Harper government and had this group become just another soapbox for anti-GMO and anti-vaccine hysteria.  One response to me wondered if I was a troll for corporate interests.  Obviously that person didn't bother to know me very well....  :-)

By later in the day, I had been removed from the group and I noted that the group had been changed to "closed", meaning that it was no longer possible to even see the discussions, let alone participate.

So, I guess I got my answer.

No comments: