Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Torture in Travel

Many years ago, we used this phrase to describe moving yourself by U-Haul.  I’ve decided that it applies equally well, if not more so, to 21st Century air travel.

Exhibit one: our return from Mexico.  It started in Oaxaca when the ticket agent wouldn’t let us take our carry-on bags loaded the way they were.  I will admit, they were a bit heavy, but anyway, we had to re-pack.  Fortunately, I’d brought my small duffel bag with me so in a few minutes we had unloaded enough to fill the duffel bag and pass inspection at the ticket counter.

They there was the usual security check.  This wasn't any worse than normal, and I didn't have to remove my boots or my belt.  Oaxaca is a small but very clean airport and ours was the only flight leaving at the time, so it was quiet too.  We even got to go outside and climb those old-fashioned stairs to the plane.  Just the way air travel used to be.

When we landed in Mexico City, our plane didn't go to a gate, but parked off to the side so we were ferried to the terminal by bus, only a couple of minutes, where we all joined a line to go through security again.  Don’t the security people at MEX trust the security people at OAX?

Then it was off to our departure gate where we had to get boarding passes, because they couldn't be provided at Oaxaca.  Not sure why, but there was a long lineup and it was taking a very long time to come up with passes for everyone.

Arriving at Salt Lake City, we, of course, had to go through Customs and Immigration.  It wasn't a problem other than there were 3 inspectors to process a plane load of people.  We had a short visit with the guy, joked about the roasted grasshoppers we were bringing back with us, collected our checked bag which joined us there, dropped it off in the belt to the cargo hold, and proceeded on to….yes… security once again.  This time I had to remove my boots and belt.  I do wonder what they think I might have picked up during the day, being airside in 2 other terminals, having passed through security twice already….  Maybe there is a competition to see if they can find something that the others missed.  I remain mystified about that one.

Fortunately, our flight plan allowed for enough time to do all this and find some food to eat.  Water from a drinking fountain that one could trust…. The usual amenities that one appreciates after a sojourn into the less over-developed regions of the world.

So, here we are, less than half an hour remaining in our flight to Spokane from SLC.  We’re back in the land of cool air.  It was refreshing to feel the lowered temperature as we exited our plane at SLC.  I understand it is just below freezing in Spokane.  That will be a mild shock.  So glad not to be returning to Saskatchewan where it has been in a polar vortex, from what I can gather.

But I still think this air travel thing has become a bit ridiculous.  My belt and my boots?  After being on a plane and going through security all day?  Seriously?  And what did their metal detector find?  One Canadian 25 cent piece.

No comments: