Thursday, June 26, 2014

Prairie Road Trip

A chance for a little wander down memory lane this week. 

The school in which I spent most of my working career is closing, finally, at the end of this week.

When I first went to Landis, in 1975, I think it was, there were about 240 students.  When I left, 10 years ago, in June 2004, we were less than 90.

I've stopped for the night, finally just inside Saskatchewan.  Some things don't change: dusty, small, prairie towns, flat, straight  roads.  Crops on display.  Hawks.  The smell of clover and canola.

Going through Alberta, the exploding size of Canmore, Cochrane and Airdrie were only too apparent.  A different fate from the town I will visit tomorrow and Saturday, after dropping in on some former teaching colleagues en route.

Still time for a little bike ride on the prairie before dark.

No comments: