Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall on Kootenay Lake

We've been flirting with fall for a few weeks now, but there still hasn't been a real frost, the squash are still on the vines, the flower pots are still blooming away out on the deck and the leaves have only recently taken on their fall colors.

Yesterday I decided that I needed a day away from the list of projects that I usually work on. I tossed the bike into the back of the truck and drove up the Lake to Lardeau, a small community near the north end of the Lake, and biked north to Meadow Creek and back, a distance of perhaps 25-30 km. There was a stiff north wind coming down from the Duncan, but that made the ride back easier.

I stopped in at the Lost Ledge campground to take this picture of Mt Willett. All of the higher peaks now have snow on them and spots of orange and yellow speckle the mountain slopes. I note that the larch trees in our woods have finally changed color. We're supposed to get close to freezing tonight and it's cooler this morning that it's been recently. Think I'll need a fire to warm things up.

No comments: