Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crossing the Great Divide - Repeatedly

This might look like a desperate dash for sun and heat, and perhaps it is...., but we left our snowy home late last week with sights set on West Texas - Big Bend, specifically. So far, we haven't gained anything in the way of heat.... In fact, I think it's been colder everywhere than it was at home. Ahhh, c'est la vie. This may be a case of short term pain for long term gain, we hope.

To get this far (northern New Mexico), we have crossed the Continental Divide several times: from northern Idaho into Montana, back across again between Montana and southern Idaho again, once again somewhere west and south of Salt Lake City and then again somewhere south of that - I'm losing track. So far, all that's meant is more cold and at least some snow.

Finally, somewhere west of Albuquerque, the snow disappeared, at least from the roadsides. We understand it might only be -5C tonight, which will be an improvement, believe me. Tomorrow, we head further south and maybe, just maybe, we'll find some warmer weather.

I console myself with the thought that my Prairie friends are suffering in sub-minus 20C and that if I continue further south it will warm up eventually, surely.... I know it's January.... I'm only complaining a little bit....really.

1 comment:

Andrew McKinlay said...

We're following in your footsteps on a road trip south in a few days.

We're hoping to rock climb so I hope we can find some warmer temperatures. Oh well, we can always hike, and in any case I imagine it will be warmer than Saskatoon!