Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Owls in the Family?

For the past couple of weeks now, we've been hearing a small owl in the woods near our house. Pictures have not been possible, but this is what they look like. It's a Northern Saw-Whet Owl, identified by it's call, a continuous series of hoots: too too too too too too too too and so on.

The other night I went out to see if I could catch a glimpse of the little bird. I wandered around in the woods listening and watching, but as I moved one way, the hooting moved the other way. We kept this game up for awhile until I got cold.

Soon after going back inside, I also heard the local coyotes yipping down in the woods along with the owl hooting. Night life in the Kootenays.

2 comments:

Andrew McKinlay said...

Cool looking bird!

Mtn Goat said...

Yes, it is, but seeing a real one could be a problem.