Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Turning Up the Heat

There was a Dennis Lee poem that we used to read to our kids when they were little. In part, it goes like this:

I threw my bratty brother
In the furnace nice and neat
I can't wait until December
When Dad turns on the heat

Dennis lives in Toronto, not Vancouver, and we were always amused by his use of "December". Most places in Canada, that month should be replaced by "September".

That poem was running through my head this morning as I hustled around building my morning fires. It was only +12C in the house this morning. Yup - the heating season is here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That poem said December?! Wow, I remember it being much earlier in the poem, and much later when we were actually allowed to start the furnace!

Mtn Goat said...

That comes from all those years that you and Andi hovered over the hot air registers in that Landis house. You remember eating breakfast that way? Each of you on your own heater.. ;-)