Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fruit Harvesting in the Koots

Around here, I spend some time searching out abandoned apple trees and try to harvest the fruit before the wildlife gets it. During my quest for fruit yesterday, I had an interesting encounter.

Approaching one tree, I was mildly surprised when a small black bear started climbing down the very tree I was going to inspect. He stopped half way down and kept a pair of beady eyes on my approach. I decided that he was more worried about me than about protecting his apples. I decided, however, that a diplomatic move would be the best choice of action on my part, so I changed course and headed away from his tree. As I moved away, the bear came down further and continued to watch me from the base of the tree. You could call this a standoff, but the bear did end up with the tree, for now!

No comments: